Sunday, July 20, 2014

One Small Step For A Monkey

One day I'll tell you the story about how in July 1969, my parents went on vacation in Hawaii and left their space nut son (i.e., me, the Monkey, your faithful correspondent) and his brother at the house of the least-imaginative woman on the planet, and how after begrudging us five minutes of all that nonsense on the moon, she put us to bed and I missed the rest of what I still consider the most transcendent historical event of my lifetime.

Forty-five years to the day, I'm still bitter and twisted. But I won't go into it now.

2 comments:

Uncle Tom said...

we were a pair of suffering monkeys that week. I always ask "you know what happened on July 20, 1969? That's right - the basement at Edgefield Baptist Church flooded" - that was the big event in their house that night. You know its bad when an eight year old and seven year old grasp the paramount significance of the moon landing yet their 60 plus year old babysitters don't seem to get it or worse - care.

KC said...

How could they have not cared about a man walking on the moon? I always assumed that blew everyone's mind. It still blows my mind!