Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Great Recasting Blogathon (A Sneak Preview)

Mostly I've had to give this year's blogathons a miss—those non-blog projects are taking up all my time—but here's one coming up at the end of July that caught my eye.

It's called "The Great Recasting Blogathon" and it's hosted by In The Mood and Frankly My Dear, a couple of classic movie blogs you might want to check out on your own.

The rules are these:

1. Pick a movie that was made in between 1966 and today
2. Change the year of production
3. Choose new leads from Classic Hollywood
4. Choose a new director from Classic Hollywood
5. Explain why you think it would work

Starts Friday, July 27, and ends the following day.

I've already written my 1000+ word essay about a silent version of Ocean's 11 and have put together twenty-two additional posters for more silent movies you'll never see. Here's a sneak preview "pre-make" of a recent movie I finally got around to seeing (and enjoying) on the 4th of July:

Get your Photoshop on, boys and girls!

8 comments:

theduckthief said...

Ba ha! I love this and the idea of recasting movies. There are so many movies where I've thought, "Why the heck did they get that part?"

Mythical Monkey said...

You should join in. You don't actually have to Photoshop anything -- that's just my own quirky contribution!

VP81955 said...

Three weeks from now, I'll have Carole Lombard filling Goldie Hawn's shoes in "Housesitter." But who will be Carole's Steve Martin? Who will direct it? And in what year will it be set? You'll have to wait and see.

Mythical Monkey said...

I'd pay to see that, VP!

Jason Marshall said...

While I'm intrigued by a silent version of Ocean's 11, I have to wonder how you deal with the fact that there was no Las Vegas during the 1920s.

Mythical Monkey said...

I have to wonder how you deal with the fact that there was no Las Vegas during the 1920s.

I'll just say it's set in a place that, judging from the movies of the time, was the "Las Vegas" of its day.

mister muleboy said...

was the Las Vegas of its day


ar-gen- Teen-ah ?

Unknown said...

Neat idea!

1920s? couldn't you just set it in some old east coast speak easy? think like that HBO show i forget the name of it right now.